What I also like about upcycling is, that sometimes we only need to change a tiny detail to get a very different result. Today’s refashion is part of this category, unspectacular but effective. It took me a couple of hours to figure it out but it added years to my sweater lifetime.
The original product is a wide sweater, in pleated knit, found in a flea market. I use to wear it with a wide belt at the waist. Its construction is very simple, with kimono sleeves and an elastic neckline.
I decided to cut one of the side seams. I said “cut” because undo a serged knit is impossible to me.
I turned the sweater at 90° so that the center back and front become the sides of the future garment.
I assembled the neckline 7 cm from each side, leaving a small opening for inserting a strap leatherette. Given the thickness to assemble, I preferred all hand sewing.
In the end, I got a cape whose front and back are the former sleeves of the sweater.
Here is the cloak gracefully worn by the author of these lines.
As you might notice, the cowl neck is actually one of the sleeves of the sweater, the one I did not cut. If I slightly slip the collar to the back, I can make a hood. If only I can meet the Wolf now.